Hike Your Own Hollywood Tours
Tours of Hollywood always take in that iconic view of the Hollywood Sign, but if you’re visiting from elsewhere you may not know all that’s up and around the famous tourist attraction. Well, you’re in for a lesson!
Mount Hollywood is a peak located within Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California. It is one of the highest points in the park, with an elevation of 1,625 feet (495 meters). The peak offers panoramic views of the Los Angeles basin, including Downtown Los Angeles, the Hollywood Sign, and the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mount Hollywood is a popular destination for hikers, runners, and nature enthusiasts. There are several trails that lead to the summit, including the Mount Hollywood Trail, which is a 3.8-mile (6.1-kilometer) round-trip hike that starts at the Griffith Observatory. The trail is rated as moderate and offers scenic views of the park and the city.
The peak is also home to the famous Hollywood Sign, which is located on the southern slope of Mount Lee, a nearby peak.
The Hollywood Sign
The Hollywood sign was originally built in 1923 as an advertisement for a real estate development called “Hollywoodland.” The sign was made of wood and was intended to be temporary, but it became an iconic symbol of the entertainment industry and the city of Los Angeles. In 1949, the last four letters were removed, and the sign was restored and made permanent. Over the years, the sign has been the target of numerous pranks and vandalism, but it has also been featured in countless films, television shows, and photographs. Today, the Hollywood sign is a protected landmark and one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world.
Overall, Mount Hollywood is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts and visitors to Los Angeles, offering beautiful views of the city and the surrounding natural landscape.
Hiking Trails in Hollywood
Griffith Park in Los Angeles, California has a number of hiking trails. Some popular hiking trails in Griffith Park include:
1. Griffith Observatory Trail: This trail is a 2.5-mile round trip and offers great views of the Hollywood Sign, downtown LA, and the Griffith Observatory.
2. Charlie Turner Trail: This trail is a 4-mile round trip and offers great views of the San Fernando Valley.
3. Amir’s Garden Trail: This trail is a 2.5-mile round trip and offers a peaceful, shaded walk through Amir’s Garden.
4. Bronson Canyon Trail: This trail is a 2.5-mile round trip and offers great views of the Hollywood Sign and the Bronson Caves, which have been featured in many movies and TV shows.
5. Mount Hollywood Trail: This trail is a 5-mile round trip and offers great views of the city and the surrounding hills.
It’s important to note that some trails may be more difficult than others, so be sure to check the trail difficulty before you begin your hike. Additionally, be sure to bring plenty of water and wear appropriate footwear and clothing.
Griffith Park is a large municipal park located in Los Angeles, California, that offers a wide range of activities for visitors. Here are some popular things to do at Griffith Park:
1. Hiking: Griffith Park has over 53 miles of hiking trails that range from easy to challenging. The most popular hiking trail is the Griffith Observatory Trail, which leads to the Griffith Observatory and offers stunning views of the city.
2. Visit the Griffith Observatory: The Griffith Observatory is an iconic landmark that offers free admission and features exhibits on astronomy and space science, as well as a planetarium and telescope.
3. Horseback riding: Griffith Park offers horseback riding trails that allow visitors to explore the park’s scenic trails on horseback. The park also has stables that offer horse rentals and guided tours.
4. Visit the Los Angeles Zoo: The Los Angeles Zoo is located within Griffith Park and features over 1,400 animals from around the world.
5. Picnic: Griffith Park has several designated picnic areas that offer tables, grills, and scenic views.
6. Golf: Griffith Park has two golf courses, the Wilson Golf Course and the Harding Golf Course, which are open to the public.
7. Visit the Autry Museum of the American West: The Autry Museum of the American West features exhibits and collections on the history and culture of the American West.
8. Take a pony ride: Griffith Park offers pony rides for children at the pony rides area.
9. Visit the Travel Town Museum: The Travel Town Museum features a collection of vintage trains, trolleys, and other forms of transportation.
10. Attend outdoor events: Griffith Park hosts a variety of outdoor events throughout the year, including concerts, festivals, and movie screenings.
After you take your Hollywood bus tour with Star Track Tours, why not hike up and around the Hollywood Sign and see Tinseltown from a thousand-foot view!